Cold Grown® Solution
Wild About Sprouts® Cold Grown® Process
You can see the difference in our sprouts and it’s all about how we grow them! Wild About Sprouts® seeds are planted directly in 3-ounce retail packages, the sprouts remain alive and completely untouched until harvested by consumers in their homes. Wild About Sprouts® are also produced in a sustainable and environmentally friendly way, being herbicide- and pesticide-free, non-GMO and using only ¼ cup of water per package with no water waste. Wild About Sprouts® have a 21-day shelf life, remaining fresh long past other fresh produce items. In addition, each package and growing pad is recyclable.
But it’s much more than just growing sprouts in individual containers! Rä Foods LLC, in conjunction with The Vista Institute, turned away from the old risky, traditional drum sprout growing methods and developed the new patented COLD GROWN® process to grow sprouts in cold conditions that cause an actual pathogen die-off.
We replaced the 50-gallon bulk drums by planting the seeds directly in 3 oz. retail packages so that from planting to the plate, the sprouts remain alive, growing, and completely untouched.
In repeated independent laboratory trials using inoculated samples, the patented COLD GROWN® process was shown to produce an actual die-off of Salmonella and E. coli populations, on the order of a ~3 log decrease. Those are the two organisms primarily responsible for food safety issues with traditional sprouts.
Using our science degrees combined with our passion for safety and our 40 years’ experience in the food industry, we created the Cold Grown® Solution for our family and yours to enjoy sprouts again!
When it comes to the differences between Cold Grown® Wild About Sprouts™ and traditionally grown sprouts, well, there is just no comparison. Here’s why:
THE OLD WAY
- Germinated and tumbled in high volume rotating drums
- Incubated in warm, damp conditions that promote pathogen growth
- Moved from drums to bins to washers to dryers to packers; handling that can introduce contaminants and promote spoilage
- Rinses produce excess waste water that requires disposal
- Limited, if any pathogen testing of final product
The Patented Cold Grown® Solution
- Growth of Cryo Sprouts – Patent # 10015936 USA
- Growth of Cryo Sprouts – Patent # 2893563 Canada
- Growth of Cryo-Sprouts – Patent # 11,102,922 USA
Food Safety Magazine – Peer Review Journal